September 5, 2024
Slept in a bit this morning (7:30am) and enjoyed breakfast before heading to a lecture on “Barrier Islands of the East Coast” - he did talk about Absecon and all the way south to the Outer Banks, and all the way north to Sable Island, including Cape Cod - which is glacial! Very interesting and detailed information about how barrier islands form, how the tectonic plates are always shifting and moving up and down and back and forth. As he says it will be 30,000 years before sea level changes drastically; however, we’re past the time to make changes - we just need to learn how to adapt.
Betsy walked 1 1/2 miles around the deck - starboard side warm with the sun, port side cooler with the wind. Getting a load of wash done. Ed is reading. After lunch we have a tour of the bridge - see first picture below. Plus Betsy has her massage this afternoon before it’s dinner time again. Hence why I tried to walk a bit. Feels like we’re always eating!
Scored a tour of the bridge this afternoon. I had remembered that you had to ask about this - it’s not advertised. So we had our tour at 2:15 p.m. Impressive bridge on this ship. Three on duty at all times - one is the driver, another the lookout, and the third is the officer in charge. They work 4 hours shifts - I feel bad for the guy who has to stare out the window for 4 hours, but the view is pretty amazing.We also got to chat with the captain.
He admired Ed’s binoculars - so then I posed Ed as the lookout, trying out for the job.
When done we asked at guest services and were able to get a spot on the tour of the Engine Room! More on that after it happens.They have 2 Pilots on board with us who will help navigate through any ice we encounter. This is the law. The captain assured us that we will see ice! I’m excited. Back to the pilots - they boarded in Halifax and I believe will get off in Reykjavik. I presume two more will get on there and do the return trip.
Massage was okay - I’ve had better but definitely relaxing. Caught up with Ed as he was having tea and scones. Then off to the port talk for L’Anse Aux Meadows - lots and lots of detail as to how the excursion (only excursion as this is a UNESCO Site) is handled from tendering in, etc. I guess they want to be sure folks with walking issues, canes, walkers, etc. know what they are getting in to if they choose to go. This tour was not set up for anyone in a wheelchair.
Drinks at the Explorer’s Lounge where we met up with a couple and sister traveling together whom we had previously chatted with. The couple is from Memphis and the sister lives in Alexandria, Va. Fun to be with and they then invited us to sit with them for dinner. Lots of laughs.
Took in the show, although we arrived a little late. But the entertainer was very good - singing, violin playing, guitar, harmonica (no, not all at the same time). He was quite the musician. Among other songs he played the score to Mamma Mia using the violin and of course the back up of the onboard Viking band.
That’s all for today,
Betsy





No comments:
Post a Comment