Monday, June 30, 2014

Getting a taste of the California life!

It's been a while since I've blogged - guess I've been just caught up in our vacation where one day just runs into the next. I'll have to say it is quite relaxing to be away for almost a month but the good news is that we will be ready to come home - it's time.

Now when I last left off in my California blogging we were heading to San Diego for the night and to experience some of the sights - namely the Zoo, the Hotel Del Coronado and The Midway.  The zoo was terrific.  Having always heard people speak of the San Diego Zoo, it was always in our plan to check it out ourselves and it did not disappoint.  Kind of like being a kid again.  I think visiting it on a weekday was a help with the crowds, although we decided to head straight for the Pandas just in case.  Pretty amazing animals although the adult female was happy just be sleeping while the little one (in a separate area) did what most 2 year olds do - run around, climb and be curious and cute.



The other animals didn't disappoint; however, I have to say I was most impressed with the Polar Bears. THEY ARE HUGE!!!.  Very humbling to see those magnificent creatures up close and personal.


And there were also bears and meerkats and capyberas and the list goes on!

 



San Diego is a beautiful city. I think I've heard that it's one of the top 10 places to live and I can see why. From the beautiful weather to the clean and wide open city streets and certainly not very crowded - at least the days we were there.  Not my vision of a city, although my main comparison is NYC and that's a whole different animal.

We took the ferry across to Coronado and then hopped a taxi to the Hotel Del Coronado to have a drink at one of their bars overlooking the beach and ocean.  Wow - what an amazing place that is. And although we did not have time to explore the island itself, it looked like quite an interesting place to visit.

The next morning we spent some time exploring The Midway - an aircraft carrier from the Vietnam era. Having never been on an aircraft carrier - again, quite impressive. Now I know some of my friends would not line up to visit this type of attraction but I am always impressed to see, hear and try to understand what our soldiers, navy, coast guard, and airmen experience. And from the description of how the planes are catapulted off the carrier (and then recovered), I'm thankful that there are men and women out there willing to sign up for that duty.





Thanks to Chris for allowing us to use his car to travel down and back.  Driving in California is definitely fast and focused.  Some of the roads have 5 to 7 lanes of traffic but all in all, not difficult to get around.  And I have to say I improved my ability to use my phone's mapping ability (and Ed improved his ability to read the app!). Of course I also used up a lot of data on my phone plan - it's always something with technology.

Our next California event will be dog sitting the granddog, Hank!  More on that later.

Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment