Sunday, November 9, 2014

Zip Lining in Costa Rica = Awesome!

So many excursions to choose from on these cruises but when we saw the opportunity to do a Zip Line in Costa Rica we figured let’s go for it – we’re not getting any younger.  And this particular trip was advertised as the Original Canopy Zip Line – the company that started it all; so it felt good.

Was I a little apprehensive as the day approached?  Maybe – after all, I was going to be flying from tree to tree, strapped in a harness, fairly far from terra firma.  But I was not losing sleep over it.  And when all was said it done – it was a great experience.

We figured the rest of the folks choosing this excursion would be much younger than us but the reality was just the opposite.  I was probably one of the youngest, albeit for about three or four young adults.  It was quite an eclectic group of people.

Upon arriving (and opportunity to use the rest room), you get fitted with your harness, helmet and gloves.  Already you are feeling the outdoorsy spirit.  Then we headed to an area with a sample zip line and received some instruction from the guide on how we would be attached to the zip line, the best position in which to put our bodies, how to slow down if necessary, and how to move yourself hand over hand if you happen to stop short of the platform. It all seemed easy enough – of course we were just watching and observing up to this point.

Next up – we took a very short hike to the first platform – climbed the stairs and got in line for our first “fly”. I kept telling Ed that I wasn't going to be first – so, guess what – I ended up being second! You know me, always up front. The gal ahead of me was from Russia – the Ukraine, I believe – and didn't speak a bit of English; although she was quite bubbly and I believe she and I had a few conversations along the way – just don’t ask me what we talked about.

Safety was always foremost with these guides – even with themselves.  You were always tethered with your safety line to the tree while waiting for your turn.  Then, they would hook you up to the zip line, switch your safety line to the zip line at the last moment, ask you to sit down and off you went.  What a great feeling – no jelly legs, no fear of the height – just flying through the air trying to remember to take it all in along the way.  One good thing was that we never had to “brake” for ourselves.  Most of the lines were set that you slowed down just in time to arrive at the next platform OR the guides had a rope system that they would pull at the appropriate time that slowed you down. And, of course, they were there to catch you at the end.
If I had jelly legs al all, it was probably during the time spent hanging out on these very small tree platforms, along with 6 or 7 other people. Not much room up there so we didn't do any dancing - just a lot of tree hugging. One one of the last platforms we were even joined by a local Iguana - or maybe it was his platform and we joined him. Either way, he hung out with us for quite a while and we all got along.
One of the guides was taking pictures (and some video) of us along the way. It would be quite difficult to take pictures while your zipping from tree to tree.  Ed did get a couple pictures of me (well the back of me) which I can share in this blog. We were able to purchase the CD of pictures and video from the Canopy Zip Line company and I had hoped to share some more pictures with you; however, I have a little glitch in the CD that I purchased (there are no pictures on it!!) that I need to take care of with the company – OOPS! - $40 later and a blank CD. So hopefully, in the not too distant future, we will have the proper CD with pictures and videos of our complete experience.
When all was done and we reached the end (much too quickly), the guides loosened our equipment, we removed our helmets and gloves, and headed back (a little hot and sweaty but no worse for wear) to where we started. You could notice we all had a little “swagger” to our walk – we were feeling pretty good about ourselves.  Would we do it again?  Absolutely…in a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment