It really was a fascinating day,
especially going through those first set of locks. Seeing how they attach the
‘mules’ (train-like engines that guide the ships through); our ship had two
mules at each end, both port and starboard. After hearing and reading up on the
history of the canal a bit, pretty humbling to realize what men went through to
make this canal a reality.
Princess provides a historian to
narrate all day long, either through your stateroom television or up on the
outside decks, which, of course, is extremely helpful. He helped bring all the
sights we had read about to life. Ginne
Hooper had told me to bring something to do as it’s a long day – so I brought
along some cross stitch which I have not picked up in years (I figured bringing
a quilt to humid South America would not be a good plan). And I’m happy to say to Ginne – I never
touched it. I carried it around with me all day but never really settled
down to do any stitching. Between watching from either side of the ship, taking
pictures, dodging a few rain showers, eating lunch, and jumping in the pool to
get cool – there was no time to settle in on anything else. And did I mention
how humid it was? Then, add to the day
time to head inside and/or return to your stateroom just to cool off.
The lake that we entered after
going through the first set of locks, Gatun Lake, is man-made and was rather
beautiful. It was a very still day and at times was so very quiet as we slowly
floated over the water and past vegetation and islands that you really felt you
were out in the middle of nowhere (well, maybe we are sort of out in the middle
of nowhere). In fact, it’s not a noisy business at all going through the
canal. If it wasn't for the narration
from our historian, you could have easily napped on deck without distraction. I
do need to clarify that it was a holiday in Panama the day we went through – so
it’s possible there would have been other noise around the locks with men
working on the new, wider canal, etc. – but the actual movement of the ships
through all the locks and gates is a very quiet process.
At the end, as we entered the
Pacific Ocean, we were treated to a beautiful view of Panama City! And it was still daylight – an amazing day! How
blessed we are to have had the opportunity to experience the Panama Canal.
Next blog? Zip lining through the Costa Rican
rainforest!
Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing it all!
ReplyDelete