Memorial Day ponderings~
I admit it – I have been just as guilty as those I propose to speak
about today. I have fallen away from attending Memorial Day services in recent
years. I have no excuses as to why so there’s no reason to make any. But this
morning I headed down to Little Silver’s service, held at 9:00 a.m. as it has
been for many, many years – the main difference is that it’s now held in a
memorial park down the street from the Borough Hall – a place where not only
fallen soldiers are honored, but local victims of 9/11 are remembered as well.
I walked part of the way through the ball fields and local grammar
school property and on my way to the service observed all the baseball games
gearing up – kids practicing, parents arriving with their chairs and blankets –
just like any weekend day in the spring; and immediately I started thinking –
why are these games happening when the Memorial Day service is about to start? Is
that what happens now? Any and all activities are scheduled at any and all
times? There is no rule or
recommendation, not even on Memorial Day, to perhaps be respectful of a service
that is taking place in the same town at the same time?
Okay – get off your soap box and just get to the service. As I arrived
there were lots of attendees – families, kids, small ones in strollers, dogs on
leashes, a parade just finishing up with old cars, girl and boy scouts, fire
and police personnel, the town council and mayor. Although I was only about a
half mile from the ball fields, it felt like an entirely different town –
another place.
Even though I grew up in this town, raised my children in this
town, I hardly recognized anyone. Who are all these people? Am I really now one
of the “old guard” of this town? I found a spot in the shade by a small, newly
growing tree. And then, an old friend found me, which was nice, as I was
feeling a bit like a fish out of water. Thank you Frank and MaryLee – it was so
good to see you both.
The ceremony didn't disappoint – all the familiar stuff. The school
band playing their best and trying not to melt in the hot sunshine. The young
5th through 8th graders read their winning essays. The mayor delivering some
welcoming remarks and even the sound system not always behaving (will they ever
get that fixed?). And there were some new parts to the service (at least new to
me) – a dance team from a local dance studio performing a very moving depiction
of soldiers on the battlefield and the sounds of helicopters overhead. And finally, the three volleys by the police
department at the end, followed by Taps played by the Red Bank Regional High
School buglers – very well done.
As I walked back to my car, across those ball fields with the games in
full swing, I wondered about all those children. Do they know anything about Memorial Day and
why it’s a holiday? Is it not our duty
to at least educate our children and teach them this country’s history and why
we celebrate the day? As parents, shouldn't we set the example? Shouldn't the local
recreation department set an example and not schedule games to begin until
after 10:00 a.m. on Memorial Day? It seems like such a simple fix, but in this
day and age of everyone doing whatever they feel like doing, I guess it’s not
that simple.
But it makes me a little sad. Times are not simple any more. There are
many choices for how we choose to spend our time on any given day. And every
day is just another day to a lot of people. Even the mayor commented that he,
himself, feels a bit disconnected from those who served and gave the ultimate
sacrifice as he was too young to serve in Vietnam and too old to serve in later
conflicts. He pondered that there are a lot of people in that same situation
and worried that as a nation we could get too complacent and forget all that
was sacrificed (and is sacrificed) in the name of freedom.
I’m glad I chose to get back to what I should have been doing all
along. And although I’ll probably admonish myself for years to come for not
doing it sooner, I will continue to remember and honor those who served and
died; as well as those who continue to serve. They may not be currently serving
in a war zone; however, they all put in long hours and are often away from
their families for extended periods of time. Thank you for all that you do!
Happy Memorial Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment